The CLEAN Function removes all spaces from text except for single spaces between words.
Use TRIM on text that you have received from another application that may have irregular spacing.
Text Required. The text from which you want spaces removed.
The TRIM function was designed to trim the 7-bit ASCII space character (value 32) from text. In the Unicode character set, there is an additional space character called the non-breaking space character that has a decimal value of 160. This character is commonly used in Web pages as the HTML entity, . By itself, the TRIM function does not remove this non-breaking space character.
If you want to remove non-printable characters, please use CLEAN function.
The example may be easier to understand if you copy A1:C5 to a blank worksheet.
See also: Excel text functions
- Changes full-width (double-byte) English letters or katakana within a character string to half-width (single-byte) characters
- Converts a number to text, using the ß (baht) currency format
- Returns the character specified by the code number
- Removes all nonprintable characters from text
- Returns a numeric code for the first character in a text string
- Joins several text items into one text item
- Converts a number to text, using the $ (dollar) currency format
- Checks to see if two text values are identical
- FIND, FINDB
- Finds one text value within another (case-sensitive)
- Formats a number as text with a fixed number of decimals
- Changes half-width (single-byte) English letters or katakana within a character string to full-width (double-byte) characters
- LEFT, LEFTB
- Returns the leftmost characters from a text value
- LEN, LENB
- Returns the number of characters in a text string
- Converts text to lowercase
- MID, MIDB
- Returns a specific number of characters from a text string starting at the position you specify
- Extracts the phonetic (furigana) characters from a text string
- Capitalizes the first letter in each word of a text value
- REPLACE, REPLACEB
- Replaces characters within text
- Repeats text a given number of times
- RIGHT, RIGHTB
- Returns the rightmost characters from a text value
- SEARCH, SEARCHB
- Finds one text value within another (not case-sensitive)
- Substitutes new text for old text in a text string
- Converts its arguments to text
- Formats a number and converts it to text
- Removes spaces from text
- Converts text to uppercase
- Converts a text argument to a number