Table of Contents
The CLEAN Function removes all non-printable characters from text.
Use CLEAN on text imported from other applications that contains characters that may not print with your operating system. For example, you can use CLEAN to remove some low-level computer code that is frequently at the beginning and end of data files and cannot be printed.
Text Required. Any worksheet information from which you want to remove non-printable characters.
The CLEAN function was designed to remove the first 32 non-printing characters in the 7-bit ASCII code (values 0 through 31) from text. In the Unicode character set, there are additional non-printing characters (values 127, 129, 141, 143, 144, and 157). By itself, the CLEAN function does not remove these additional non-printing characters.
CLEAN function can not remove spaces from text, if you want to remove spaces, please use TRIM function.
The example may be easier to understand if you copy A1:C5 to a blank worksheet.
See also: Excel text functions
- Changes full-width (double-byte) English letters or katakana within a character string to half-width (single-byte) characters
- Converts a number to text, using the ß (baht) currency format
- Returns the character specified by the code number
- Removes all nonprintable characters from text
- Returns a numeric code for the first character in a text string
- Joins several text items into one text item
- Converts a number to text, using the $ (dollar) currency format
- Checks to see if two text values are identical
- FIND, FINDB
- Finds one text value within another (case-sensitive)
- Formats a number as text with a fixed number of decimals
- Changes half-width (single-byte) English letters or katakana within a character string to full-width (double-byte) characters
- LEFT, LEFTB
- Returns the leftmost characters from a text value
- LEN, LENB
- Returns the number of characters in a text string
- Converts text to lowercase
- MID, MIDB
- Returns a specific number of characters from a text string starting at the position you specify
- Extracts the phonetic (furigana) characters from a text string
- Capitalizes the first letter in each word of a text value
- REPLACE, REPLACEB
- Replaces characters within text
- Repeats text a given number of times
- RIGHT, RIGHTB
- Returns the rightmost characters from a text value
- SEARCH, SEARCHB
- Finds one text value within another (not case-sensitive)
- Substitutes new text for old text in a text string
- Converts its arguments to text
- Formats a number and converts it to text
- Removes spaces from text
- Converts text to uppercase
- Converts a text argument to a number