The FIXED Function rounds a number to the specified number of decimals, formats the number in decimal format using a period and commas, and returns the result as text.
FIXED(number, [decimals], [no_commas])
Number Required. The number you want to round and convert to text.
Decimals Optional. The number of digits to the right of the decimal point.
No_commas Optional. A logical value that, if TRUE, prevents FIXED from including commas in the returned text.
- Numbers in Microsoft Excel can never have more than 15 significant digits, but decimals can be as large as 127.
- If decimals is negative, number is rounded to the left of the decimal point.
- If you omit decimals, it is assumed to be 2.
- If no_commas is FALSE or omitted, then the returned text includes commas as usual.
- The major difference between formatting a cell containing a number by using a command (On the Home tab, in the Number group, click the arrow next to Number, and then click Number.) and formatting a number directly with the FIXED function is that FIXED converts its result to text. A number formatted with the Cells command is still a number.
The example may be easier to understand if you copy A1:C11 to a blank worksheet.
See also: Excel text functions
- Changes full-width (double-byte) English letters or katakana within a character string to half-width (single-byte) characters
- Converts a number to text, using the ß (baht) currency format
- Returns the character specified by the code number
- Removes all nonprintable characters from text
- Returns a numeric code for the first character in a text string
- Joins several text items into one text item
- Converts a number to text, using the $ (dollar) currency format
- Checks to see if two text values are identical
- FIND, FINDB
- Finds one text value within another (case-sensitive)
- Formats a number as text with a fixed number of decimals
- Changes half-width (single-byte) English letters or katakana within a character string to full-width (double-byte) characters
- LEFT, LEFTB
- Returns the leftmost characters from a text value
- LEN, LENB
- Returns the number of characters in a text string
- Converts text to lowercase
- MID, MIDB
- Returns a specific number of characters from a text string starting at the position you specify
- Extracts the phonetic (furigana) characters from a text string
- Capitalizes the first letter in each word of a text value
- REPLACE, REPLACEB
- Replaces characters within text
- Repeats text a given number of times
- RIGHT, RIGHTB
- Returns the rightmost characters from a text value
- SEARCH, SEARCHB
- Finds one text value within another (not case-sensitive)
- Substitutes new text for old text in a text string
- Converts its arguments to text
- Formats a number and converts it to text
- Removes spaces from text
- Converts text to uppercase
- Converts a text argument to a number